Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Talent Tuesday: Writer's Who Can't Write?




For Talent Tuesday, I thought we’d take a different tack here, as we’ve been discussing great storytelling.

Most of the authors I’ve featured here I love primarily because they are both awesome writers and storytellers—but I do have a ton of favorites that aren’t considered writing geniuses, yet are known for telling a really great story.

Here are a few of my favorite, talented storytellers:

V.C. Andrews: Yes, I know she passed away, but breathing is not a requirement for this list. She definitely kept me spellbound, even if she wasn’t considered the greatest writer on the planet.

John Saul: Love, love his stories. I have so many of his books, I wonder if you can buy stock in an author? That would be something hey?

James Patterson: Okay, this probably a borderline choice, but he gets enough flack I think it’s fair to include him in this list of not-so-acclaimed writing, but great storytelling. His Maximum Ride series is awesome and I’ve enjoyed many of his books over the years.

What about you? Do you have a favorite talented storyteller that doesn’t get much credit for being a great writer? Who are some of your favorite authors?

Warmly,
Jenny:)

3 comments:

Martin Bartloff said...

Would I fall under this category?

okay unlike that monkey, I can spell, but it seems my writing flows much better after the edits.

Great blog!

--Martin

http://martinbartloff.blogspot.com/

J.R. Turner said...

ALL books are much better after editing, Martin! :)

Thanks for the compliment! :)

Warmly,
Jenny:)

Christy said...

Rearding great storytellers, I must mention Diana Gabaldon here. According to her website: "Diana Gabaldon is the New York Times best-selling author of the Outlander series, which tells the story of Jamie Fraser, a Scottish Highlander from the 18th century, and his time-traveling wife, Claire."

I have read every book in the series including the Lord John books she has written. Gabaldon's next book An Echo in the Bone, the 7th in the series, will be released in September of this year and I cannot wait for it. Diana Gabaldon can certainly write and she tells a great story. I have been reading the continuing story of Jamie and Claire for the past 17 years and while they both seem like old friends to me now, their adventures are always exciting. When I picked up that first book "Outlander" in 1992, I never had a clue that it would be more than a simple little fantasy or a steamy romance on the moors of Scotland. I couldn't imagine I would be hooked into her story and into the lives of Jamie and Claire for so many years to come, but I was, and I am still.
:)