Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Writing Wednesday: Quick Editing (Repost)


Some of you have seen this before, but I hope this helps you all! :)

Remember too, I have articles at my website on the craft of writing if you haven't read them already.


1) Look at the beginning of your sentences. Do the first two or three words need to be there? If you eliminate them, does it make the sentence stronger?


By the time we arrived at the graveyard, rain poured down all around us.


We arrived at the graveyard in the middle of a downpour.


Do the same for the end of your sentences:

I needed the food or I would starve without it.


I needed the food or I would starve.



2) This is part of the previous--if you have the word "it" in your sentence, "it" might mean the sentence can be better constructed:

When the repair man came to fix our washing machine last time, he serviced it without a complaint.

The last time the repair man came, he fixed our washing machine without complaint.

Get rid of the "it" whenever you can.

3) Last, run a search for these words in your manuscript and see how many you can eliminate because they are unnecessary:

Also
Was
Had
Now
Look/looked
Some
Actually
Then
Over
Almost
Soon
Just
Suddenly
Even
Back
Still
Much


Often times, the following context shows what those words mean, or the sentence simply doesn't need the word to be there at all. Words like "almost" generally indicate that a stronger sentence can be created.

Do NOT eliminate all of them--that's been a complaint every time I share this list. My advice is meant to get rid of words hindering, not enriching, your story or style.

Warmly,
Jenny:)


2 comments:

Martin Bartloff said...

How about "that?"

I dislike when I overuse "it" and "that," and this happened a lot writing TFN. Could you add some samples of how to get around "that?"

--Martin

http://martinbartloff.blogspot.com/

J.R. Turner said...

"That" is an easy question :) Most of the time, simply deleting works:

We went to the car that was parked in the farthest spot.

We went to the car parked in the farthest spot.

I can't tell you how many times that I have folded the laundry alone.


I can't tell you many times I have folded the laundry alone.


Once Jerry thought that the radio was an alien communicator.

Once Jerry thought the radio was an alien communicator.

***

A lot of times, it simply doesn't need to be there at all ;)

Hope *that* helps! :)

Warmly,
Jenny:)