Sunday, January 02, 2011

Ms. Holzner, You Had Me at Circus!


The opening scene of Deadtown by Nancy Holzner prepares the reader for a fantastic journey, and the rest of the book does not disappoint. I expected a great, action-packed adventure, something Urban Fantasy offers in spades. What I didn’t expect, was to have such a richly developed world, I wanted to get involved with a fight for civil rights. I had to keep telling myself Paranormal Americans don’t really exist. Holzner did such an unbelievably wonderful job of stealing me away, I stayed up way past my bedtime to read “just a little more.”


Between the mad crazy drama of a campaign ad gone horribly wrong, and the incredibly moving struggle Vicki, our heroine, endures for love, family, and her own flirtation with a burning evil inside her, there is no shortage of suspense. I wanted nothing more than to see Vicki triumph, no matter how difficult Tina, her zombie demon-slayer student, made it for her. Rarely does a book offer so much escapism for me. Thank goodness there’s a sequel!


Deadtown is Urban Fantasy at it’s finest!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the review! I hope you'll like Hellforged just as much. :) Happy New Year!

J.R. Turner said...

Thrilled you enjoyed the review, Nancy! Thanks tons for stopping by and I hope you're enjoying a fabulous New Year, too! :)

Hugs,
Jenny:)

Christy said...

I'm so glad you posted this! The book is so good, I'm enjoying it so much, I can't wait to read Hellforged!