Monday, March 14, 2011

Book Sellers are Beelzebub!


Of course authors have a whole ton of reasons to dislike booksellers. We groan at discounts, totally despise returns, and have at times been treated strangely (ahem) at book signings and such. However, that's not the reason I'm calling them Beelzebub!

I can't seem to leave a bookseller without spending more than I make! Ugh! After two events--a lovely time at Dan's Dog Eared Books in Medford and Egocon (hosting Book Isle) in Stevens Point--my TBR pile has grown by a dozen, at least. It's crazy! I'm swamped with great reads all ready, so it's especially difficult to sit and see all those really great books just waiting for me. I'm going to have to take a vacation just to get some of these read!

At the moment, I'm reading Hellforged by Nancy Holzner and though it seems to be taking me forever to get it read, I'm enjoying it immensely. I've had to put it down a few times because of looming deadlines for books I'm editing and books I've got coming out--so my for-fun reading has been seriously delayed. Watch out though, for my review of Hellforged, coming soon!

So yeah, booksellers tempt me more than just about anything else. If I were to sell all the books I have, I could probably take the kids to Disneyland. Insane! Well, I better get going now, or I'll never have time to read my for-fun books!

On a side note, there's a really great lady--my Aunt Christy--who has become an Avon Representative. Check out her store here: http://christyweber.avonrepresentative.com/

Thanks y'all!

Warmly,
Jenny:)

3 comments:

Regge Ridgway said...

Great post. Love the idea. Of course what would we do without them. Necessary evil I guess. They might be struggeling now with the rise of ebook publishing. It has to got into the bottom line. Oil companies just raise the price of oil when we turn to alternative fuels and hybrid cars. Book sellers don't have anywhere to go.

Christy said...

Omigosh! Jenny - I was totally commiserating with you about your TBR stack and how quickly it grows - especially after visitng the local Book Seller. But then I read your side note - what a surprise to read your words about me. Jenny you are so sweet! :)

I am glad you are enjoying Hellforged too and I look forward to reading your review of the book. I really enjoyed reading it!

J.R. Turner said...

Regge--I so totally know what you mean! I feel bad for the really great bookstores we're loosing left and right. So many have been so supportive. It sucks that they're not able to stay competitive in today's marketplace.

Christy--Isn't it the worst??? :) :) Especially when you get great deals. Like I got the Piers Anthony Immortal series for only 20 bucks--but now my TBR pile is towering :)

And no problemo about the Avon plug. I'm happy to do it! I'll be ordering something soon myself :)

Hugs!
Jenny:)